Our Family

Our Family

Monday, June 28, 2010

Driven

Parker has had a driving desire lately...
As his 15th birthday creeps closer, he has been focused on getting his permit.  He wants to be ready.  So he uses any uncommitted 15 min time slot in our collective day to try to convince me to take him driving.
I finally gave in.






















We got gas and I took him to the local park...lots of pavement...no people...a perfect place to stop and start abruptly.  I even let him practice parallel parking.  Nothing like using your mother as a parking cone to make you careful ;)












He seemed cool and confident...driving with one hand and playing the music LOUD.





















And then....a couple of days later, after a fun family picnic at the nearby state park, Parker convinced his Dad to let him drive.  This was no "drive slowly around this circle."  This was "let's drive down 14 country roads for an hour."

And this time both Parker's hands were firmly on the wheel...
And Dad's was on what we like to call "the 'oh shoot!' handle".

But we finally made it home, safe and sound.  Parker was beaming and Dad was expounding on what a good driver Parker was turning out to be.  
I'd say we have a long and beautiful road ahead of us!
And I'm glad to be along for the ride.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bring him to the back of the church property, where so many before him have learned to drive. In Portageville, of course. MIMI