Our Little Bird has flitted here and there since school ended. But her most recent and most exciting trip was a 10 day trek out west...taking her from Texas to New Mexico to Arizona to Colorado and many places in between.
I missed her, but I was glad she was getting to have these cool experiences...camping and cooking...hiking...seeing the grand canyon...climbing up pueblo ladders...
And every now and then I would get a text from her:
"You should see the sky out here! Everything is so beautiful"
"Went on a hike today and saw a rattlesnake."
"This town is like Pleasantville! They have a Whole Foods here and everyone walks wherever they need to go. Mom, you BELONG here!"
And with every text, I smiled and felt connected to her even though she was far away.
Finally, it was Coming Home day. Her dad and I waited up til 10 pm. But when she texted and said she was still a whole state away, we went on to bed.
In the wee hours of the next morning I heard my bedroom door creak open. Soft tiptoes...and then she was in bed beside me...snuggling under the covers and falling asleep.
Little Bird was home.
The next day we looked at the 600 pictures she had taken, and listened as she narrated details about each one. We were happy to see the world through her eyes.
I know there will come a day when she will build her own nest somewhere other than in my tree. And that will be ok. Because even then I know she will occasionally find her way home for a visit.
2 comments:
you always manage to take whats hidden in my heart about my child and spill it out like beautiful music!
Very impressed that Little Bird had the initiative and courage to fly so far away from the nest so soon after graduation and the desire to stay connected.
I would love to see pictures!
Post a Comment