Sometimes I experience moments of extreme doubt in my success as a parent.
Oh, there are days when I handle something well, and I think to myself, "Girl, you have GOT this!"
But more often than not, I am left wondering if I said the right thing...showed the appropriate emotion...gave enough support without being overbearing. Much like the scientist who skews his experiment my very existence influences who my children become.
Like when my daughter is crushed because she finds out her "friends" are having a movie night without inviting her. Do I talk to her? Remind her that she has plenty of other friends and that no one has the power to make us miserable except us...that she has a choice to mope about it or to have her own movie night with people who WANT to be with her?
Do I leave her alone to practice the coping skills we've worked on all these years?
In the end, I do a little of both. But later, in the kitchen, as I am analyzing it out loud to my husband I say something like, "It's probably my fault that she doesn't have many close girlfriends and has always had a boyfriend instead. After all, you and I are each other's best friend. Maybe we have been too happy together in front of her. I should have gone out with the girls more."
And he rolls his eyes because of course that makes no sense and says, "It's not your fault."
I give him a look and reply, "I'm the Mother. It will ALWAYS be my fault."
Has he never heard of psychology? Geez.
But then again...if I'm going to take responsibility for the bad, then I might as well take credit for the good, right?
Like when my son leaves the extra grilled cheese on the plate for his dad to eat, and takes the majority of the tomato soup instead. Character skill...thinking of others. Check. Nutrition skill...choosing a vegetable over carbs. Tomatoes count, right? I know they do...something about lycopene? I'm giving that a check.
So maybe it's not a total loss.
I'll ask my therapist...it probably has to do with my mother.
3 comments:
You bet it does! I'm taking all the credit for how well you turned out. And that's dern near perfect! And as long as they know you love them, they can tolerate a lot of near misses to perfect. Please just know that I LOVE YOU. See there, now doesn't that help you forgive MY mistakes? MOM
Fonda--You couldn't have had a better teacher, trainer, inspiration or role model than your mom. You HAD to be 'dern near perfect.' She is a great lady and so are you. You have done an awsome job raising both your children.
oops, forgot to sign my name to the above post. Brenda
Post a Comment