So I thought Hillary was laid back about dances. But I swear her brother makes her look like a diva by comparison.
He talked about Homecoming all week...the pep assemblies...the spirit days...the moves the band would do at Friday's game...but nary a word about the Dance. A co-worker who has a son the same age asked me if Parker was going. I replied that I had no idea.
And then, on the way to the Football game that night, Parker (who had to be there early) called Hillary on her cell phone. He wondered if we had already left the house. He needed us to bring him some clothes for the dance. Which would start in 3 hours immediately following the game. Total afterthought. No big deal.
So after the halftime show (at which the band totally ROCKED, by the way) we followed him into the band room as he stripped off his outer uniform.
Me - "So what clothes, exactly, do you want?"
Parker - looking at Hillary - shrugging - "You just pick me out something."
Are you serious???
The two of them finally decided on the perfect outfit and Hillary made him promise to dance with a girl.
Then she and I ran home and gathered the goods. We got back just as the game was ending and handed the mess of clothes and shoes to Parker. He went off to change and (I found out later) walk into the dance through the back band door because he hadn't even bought a ticket. Talk about playing it loose!
But he came home with a smile on his face and stories to tell. His first high school dance now just a fresh memory.
And I am reminded one more time that life doesn't have to be planned out ahead of time. And it's ok to let your friends and your sister help you out. Because it's not about what you wear. You still get to DANCE!
No comments:
Post a Comment