Our Family

Our Family

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Grown Up

As I was sitting downstairs, enjoying some rerun on tv, Parker texted me from the far away reaches of...his bedroom.
"What are we doing Friday?"
I thought for a moment, checked my handy phone calendar, and replied, "Nothing that I know of."
He went on to explain that he had been invited to a girl's house to watch movies.  Wanting to save me time and trouble he figured he could go home with her from school and then Hillary could pick him up later.  How sweet of him to keep me completely out of it.
I know the family and I know that this may be his first "hang-out date" but it won't be his last and I know how much he wants this...so I say it sounds fine to me.
And the next day, I email the other mom.
And discover that there will be two girls and my son alone at their house watching a movie while this mom and dad are down the street having dinner with friends.  She said it should be fine bc they are all "good kids".
My heart sank.
Parker is a low-key guy.  He doesn't ask for much and he doesn't get excited about much.  But I knew he REALLY wanted this.  He is a good kid.  And I REALLY wanted him to have friends and fun.  Some part of me didn't want to disappoint him.  For a split second, I actually considered it.
But then the bigger part of me...the part that is the Grown Up...the part that is the Good Mom...spoke up.  And I knew I had to say no.
Later that night, I talked it over with Hubby, and then called Parker into the kitchen.
"I need to tell you something.  You know your plans for Friday night...?"
"-are gonna work!" he interrupted hopefully.
"There isn't gonna be a grown-up there."  I said.
His face fell.  But he just groaned and said, "Ok."  Then he went back downstairs to watch tv.  He didn't like it, but he understood it and wasn't going to fight it.  That's the kind of kid he is.
I was thinking, "This SUCKS!"
And then Dad saved the day.
"Hey," he said suddenly.  "Why don't the girls just come over here?  We will be home and they can watch the movie here until the other parents get home."
We floated the idea by Parker and he happily agreed.
And that is how we came to have two giggly girls and two only-recently-macho boys (of COURSE the neighbor boy came over!) in our basement on a Friday night...eating my homemade pizza and looking up music videos on the computer and hoola hooping on the wii.  Having all kinds of teenage fun.  Because they aren't Grown Up yet, and they shouldn't have to be.  I want them to have the fun they ARE ready for without the responsibility they AREN'T ready for.
So I will continue to make sure my son gets to be the kid he is.
And I will be the Grown Up.

2 comments:

Felicia said...

And this is why you and Yancey are AMAZING and fun parents. I hope we are just as cool as you guys as our girls grow up! What a great post!

Anonymous said...

Guided by the Holy Spirit, no doubt. Ya'll are a wonderful team, you three, You, Yancey, and God. MOM P.S. My word verification was 'redsea'. You are definetely being guided.