I paused.
Of course he was sitting with us, drinking in our laughter and storytelling, because that's how we do it at our house.
"What are you talking about," I asked.
"Well, when Hillary picked us up from school on Friday (meaning him and his two female friends), I asked where you were and she said you were at the Pleasure Zone."
WHAT?
Hillary told two random 14 year old girls that Parker's mom couldn't pick them up from school because she was visiting the Pleasure Zone?!?
There goes my reputation.
I couldn't help it. I burst out laughing.
After all, it was the truth.
And I've always told my kids the truth.
See, I believe that kids can handle it. From a pretty young age, kids know what's going on...even if they may not know how to express it. They know when Mom's stressed and they know when Parents love each other. They know when you're lying and when you're telling the Truth. They see it if you profess one things to your friends and then live out something different. So I've let them know me, warts and all. And they return the favor.
And it works for us.
And that's the Truth.
2 comments:
I love this post, because this is how I've grown up and how I hope to raise my children as well. I don't see how parents can expect truth and honesty from their children when they don't give the same in return.
You shall know the truth and the truth will set you free. MOM
Post a Comment