I've become the kind of woman who eats pizza in bed.
I used to be in control.
I was the CEO of this family. The strategic command center through which all activities, responsibilities, thoughts and social interactions must pass. The menu planner/grocery getter/bill payer/house cleaner/homework checker/play date planner/calendar master/marriage maintainer....
And that was fun.
Exhausting...but rewarding.
I eventually figured out that I wasn't doing anyone any favors by running the world for them, and I set the goal of working myself out of a job. I gritted my teeth and squeezed my eyes shut as my kids picked loser boyfriends and got zeros on assignments they did at home but forgot to turn in to the teacher. I just took deep breaths as my husband paid the late fee on the bill he forgot to mail. And I tried not to think about the nutritional value of 12 bowls of cereal for supper versus a lean meat and three different colored vegetables.
And you know what? Nobody died.
My daughter is attending college and making new friends. She has a job and her own checking account. And she has chosen on her own to take a hiatus from dating until she knows who she is and what she wants.
My son has As and Bs this quarter, despite his dyslexia. He has a fun group of friends and is the kind of kid other moms tell me they WANT their kids to hand out with.
My husband has learned to cook more than taco salad and actually checks the account balance from time to time. He even does a little laundry!
And me?
Well, the other night, after working all day then going for a run, I rushed home from my women's bible study in time to catch one of my favorite tv shows. During the commercial, I ran into the kitchen to check on the non-nutritious frozen pizza I was having for supper...past Parker who was doing dishes by hand. "Grr!" I growled, as the pizza was a little too crispy.
To which Parker responded, "Yeah, I've given up trying to cook while I'm watching TV. It never goes well."
Thank you Mr. Belvedere.
I took my blackened pizza to my room and climbed into my bed to finish my show. I knew my husband would be up in a few minutes to cuddle me as I fell asleep. My phone buzzed and Hillary said, "Hey mom. I'm hanging out at Jen's. I'll text you when I start home."
I was happy. And the world spun madly on...
CEO's are efficient, but not very much fun. So I'll settle for being just one member of this small group of humans who love and take care of themselves AND each other.
1 comment:
LOVE it...I am so proud of you!!
Post a Comment