He is famous for random thoughts that have nothing to do with the situation at hand.
I blinked and considered making up some excuse. But then I just went with the truth.
"Because I suck at it."
He nodded sagely.
Then he said, "Can we try baking something when we get home?"
I just smiled and patted his leg.
But after church, we headed to the grocery store for the ingredients, and the cookie baking commenced.
I wasn't kidding when I said I'm no good at baking. I love to cook and I think I make some pretty respectable real food. But cakes, pies, and things like banana bread are beyond me. My cookies are always flat, crumbly, tasteless discs...and yes, I HAVE tried different recipes. I am happy to keep Pilsbury dough in my fridge and I frequently dip out a few cookies at a time so I can enjoy fresh, hot heaven. They are easy and they taste good.
But Parker was having none of that.
This would be a "from scratch" attempt.
So I measured and he mixed.
And I watched and he spooned softball sized balls of dough onto the cookie sheet.
And before long, we had this...
They looked ok. Parker tried one and declared them "amazing". I thought they kinda tasted like dust.
Oh yeah...there is one part of baking I'm really good at, and he was happy to leave it to me...
Sometimes things are about the process, not the product. I loved spending time with my son, sharing my kitchen and some tasty conversation. I might not be able to make cookies, but I know how to make memories.
1 comment:
Dangit Fonda! Everytime you post an emotional blog I cry! I am going to stop reading it. Or at least turn the music off.
Post a Comment