But not this year.
This year Hillary wasn't even there, due to her new job. And Parker wasn't about to put on sheep ears and get on stage.
And that was just fine with me.
Until a little girl with blonde curls played the piano, plinking out her simple Christmas song in un-even beats and missing a note here and there.
I was flooded with memories. Hillary started piano when she was 4. How many times did we sit through those hesitant notes until she became the fluid musician she is today?
And when two different little girls sang "Happy Birthday, Jesus" I heard it in Hillary's little girl voice, the s sounds lisping through her buck-teeth because she always sucked her thumb.
And those wise men looked a lot like a young Parker, making his "wise" face and cracking me up in the process.
I waited for tears to fill my eyes.
I waited for pain to stab my heart.
But none came.
There was only happiness.
Happiness that I had HAD those years. That my children had lived and sang and worshiped baby Jesus.
And happiness for these children, who were getting their own chance to live it. And their parents, who might not realize how much these rushed days would mean 10 years from now.
I smiled. I clapped. I savored.
And my heart thanked God for all the little angels.
Hillary
Parker and his best friend Cassidy (aka Joseph and Mary)
Parker and Hillary as toys in Santa's toy shop
2 comments:
I think we could read each other's minds sometimes. I was thinking many of those same thoughts last night. :)
This gave me chills! I hope to soon be doing the same thing with my Babies! And kaitlyn is 4! Love your blog it helps me more than you know!
<3 Christina
Post a Comment