Our Family

Our Family

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Good Night

I drove into the sunset, headed to yet another basketball game.  Alone.
I had left the dishes in the sink, the laundry on the floor, my sister's dog at the vet, and my children to fend for themselves.  Hillary was picking Parker up from practice.  I felt like a Slacker Mom...depending on my older child to take care of the younger one.  What was I doing?  Why was I killing myself to get to an event I don't even care that much about when I really just wanted to be home with my kids for the evening?
And then I got Hillary's facebook status update on my phone...
"Dinner and a movie with my lil bro!  Good way to end a great day!"
and I was happy and sad at the same time.
Four quarters and one overtime later, after a game that had ended badly, I stood in the hallway outside the locker room consoling my coach husband and rubbing away the beginnings of his migraine, and I knew why I had come.
Because I'm not just a Mom.  I'm also a Wife.
And there's enough of me to go around.

When I finally did get home, I made myself a snack and texted the kids from upstairs.
"Meet on my bed in 5 min?"
And they did.
I lay in between my favorite guy and girl and got updated on Jazz Choir, friendships, Algebra grades, GVC band (Parker got 8th chair...yay!), and the upcoming Homecoming plans.
I laughed a lot.
Finally, fatigue caught up with me and I hugged and kissed and thanked my kids for spending time with me.
We said Good Night.
And it was.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhhhh-I am glad you were there to rub his head for him-I know it means a lot to him to have you there. Love you and appreciate you Fonda.
Love-Sheila

Anonymous said...

You are a good wife, and mother, and daughter.