Our Family

Our Family

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Sweet Nothing

"So what are your plans for the weekend?" asked my far-away friend on Friday afternoon.
"A whole lot of nothing." I said and I meant.
And that's what I did.
I stood at the Band Bake Sale and watched teenagers sell cookies and make change. And I made a new friend of a parent I barely knew.
Then I drove to the next town over to have lunch with my Lovely on her lunch break from Wal-Mart.  I laughed when she regaled me with stories of The People of WalMart.  And I wondered if the over-sized, elderly lady who had come out of the restroom a few min ago.. warning me that the lights were on a sensor so if they went off while I was sitting on the toilet I should just wave my arms..had been through Hillary's line that day.  (Seriously, if you are sitting that still that long, you should probably wait until you get HOME to use the bathroom!)
Then I grabbed Hubby from home and turned a grocery-shopping trip into a long, languid conversation on sunny back roads.  We held hands and had Starbucks.
I slept in on Sunday (just this once) and drank coffee on the porch swing.
I lay in the hammock.
I read two novels.
I took Parker's heavy outerwear, still mud-caked from his four-wheeler adventures in the snow a few weeks ago, to the laundromat and tried to ignore the trashy-looking guy (naked from the waist up) who was stealing quarters from a video game by shaking it...making the alarm go off repeatedly.
I went for a run.
I sat outside until it was dark because I just couldn't bear to waste one minute of the new spring sunshine on vacuuming last week's dust off the carpet.
Yes, I know it sounds like a lot, but it was a lot of things I WANTED to do.  Not just things I NEEDED to get done.  There was a lot of "being with" and "putting off".
There are plenty of weekends with tightly bound schedules. Checklists to check and people to please.
But for now I am happy for a weekend full of sweet nothings.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful. Just exactly the type of weekend for a 'quality time' person like yourself. I'm glad you had a great weekend. I love you. MOM And my verification word is 'right'. What could be more right than your weekend!