Our Family
Wednesday, March 30, 2011
Grounds for Celebration
I had coffee with my mom today.
This is unusual for several reasons. We live four hours apart, so impromptu visits just don't happen. When we DO have time together, it is usually combined with many other family members. And, historically, we have talked over a hot stove or a heaping laundry basket instead of steamy mugs of joe.
But the biggest reason is probably that it simply doesn't always occur to me to spend an unexpected free hour socializing instead of checking a few more things off my many post-it note To Do lists.
This time, the stars aligned. My mom is in town helping my sister recover from surgery. The rest of the family was otherwise occupied. I had some free time.
And I thought of Hillary.
Over the last year, Hill has been in and out of my daily routine. And while she doesn't HAVE to keep me posted about where she is and what she's doing, she chooses to make the effort to stay connected. She texts me on her work break. She calls me on her commute to school. She asks me to meet her for lunch at unexpected times.
And it always makes me smile.
I have learned to put off whatever checklist I was working on and take a few minutes to be with a girl I love and like.
I thought about how good it makes me feel to be in my daughter's thoughts. And I realized I had the power to make MY mom feel the same way.
So I texted my mom and we met at the coffee shop. I spent an hour with a woman I love and like. We sat on a couch and talked about everything...rich people, marriage, memories. Then she left to go to the grocery store and I came home to do laundry.
I don't know why Hillary loves so well. I don't know if it is a reflection of things I tried to teach her or her own positive personality. But whatever I've taught her, she has taught me at least as much.
And being her Mom has made me a better Daughter.
And that's "grounds" for celebration! With whipped cream on top...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
WOW! I 'made the blog'! I so much enjoyed that impromtu visit. You are in my thoughts a lot. While I was at Beth's, and we were all having some meals together, I thought, "It would be so nice to live in the same community where the kids could stop by for breakfast before work, or supper a time or two a week. Or an impromptu visit to the coffee shop." You are a wonderful daughter. I love you. MOM Just 'sayinong' . . (my word verification)
Post a Comment