Our Family

Our Family

Friday, April 1, 2011

Moments

There are so many moments when my son makes me burst with pride.

Like when every teacher at Parent/Teacher conference has good things to say about him.
Or when I'm watching him give his all at a track meet.
















photo courtesy of Amber White :)
And the grandmother of another athlete says to me, "You should know that every time Parker sees me, he is so friendly and nice.  And kid's aren't always like that to old people, you know."
And I replied, "Well, he probably doesn't know you're old, but I won't tell him."
But I smiled inside at the thought of my kind and caring son.  And gave myself a mental pat on the back for being such a good mother.
Yes, there are moments of pride...

And then there are moments when I walk into the kitchen and find this...





















And after I finish laughing (it's a running joke that Parker is always the one who makes the tea in our house, but every time he goes to pour himself a glass, it's empty) I shake my head and think "How selfish" and give myself a mental flogging for being such a poor parent.

Parker had already left the house, so I just stuck the pitcher (note and all) in the fridge and went on about my business.
Later, between events at the track meet, he said, "Hey mom!  Did you find my note?" and he gave me a sideways mischievous grin that let me know he had done it as a joke.
Thank God!  My faith in myself as a Mother had been restored.
I rolled my eyes and said, "Yes, I saw that" and swatted his arm right in front of his friends.
There are moments when I am so proud of my son...like when he displays his wonderful sense of humor...
pat, pat

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd sure like to pat myself on the back for how good you turned out! Can I get some credit here? LOL MOM