And then Hillary threw up.
I rushed home from work, Sprite in hand, to nurse and nurture. She refused to even CONSIDER staying home from the football game. She is the drum major and the band would need her to lead them while they played. And the dance was after the game and she really wanted to try it. So after a nap, a shower, and some dramamine, she climbed on the bus (due to construction at our school our "home" games are 20 min away at the next town over). I crossed my fingers and kept my phone in my hand.
She perked up and made it through the game, then went on to the dance where she was meeting her date for the evening. She told me she probably wouldn't stay late, since she had the competition the next morning, and that she would call me when she wanted to be picked up. I cleaned up the house, shared a frozen pizza with Parker, and watched some TV. At 10:00 I knew I wasn't going to make it. I lay down in bed, fully clothed, and put the phone on my pillow. Parker was beside me, watching TV.
I dozed.
I started awake. 10:50. Ok, it's all good. The TV droned.
I dozed.
I started awake. The TV was off and Parker snored softly. 11:40. I checked my phone. She hadn't called. Was she ok? What if she was sick? Then I reminded myself that she was surrounded by a myriad of teens and teachers who loved her and all had my phone number if something happened. Not to mention that she is almost 18. A handful of months and she could potentially be living far away doing who knows what with who knows who whenever she wants. If she doesn't know how to make the right decisions by now, then really, what is the point?
I don't do well without sleep.
I dozed.
I started awake. 12:00. My phone was buzzing. "Mom, come get me". So much for not staying out "late".
New dilema. Leave Parker snoozing and hope he doesn't wake up with a nightmare, panicked because he can't find me, or wake him up and make him go with me. We don't have a home phone and his cell is out of commission at the moment. I shook him, told him where I was going, got a mumble in response, and left...taking my chances.
Fog. Moonlight. Don't hit a deer. Then your daughter will be sitting forlorn outside a dark school building and your son will awake in a dark empty house. And they will wonder why you've forsaken them while you are leaning unconscious on the horn with airbag dust floating around your face. I warned you - lack of sleep makes me crazy.
I had a sudden urge of sympathy for single parents. How do you do this without a partner?
I got Hillary home without incident, climbed back in bed next to the still-sleeping-soundly Parker, and tried to relax. And then Hillary appeared in the doorway. "I'm sleeping in here." And she slid under the covers.
And just like that...all was right with the world. The things most important in my world (save my hubby who is a big man and can easily take care of himself) were right there in bed with me...safe, sound, and sleeping. I drifted off to sleep.
And I rested in peace.
2 comments:
We always rested better with everyone under our own roof, too. Something comforting, feeling every chick under your wings. MOM
oh man stop making me cry...i am sadly hooked on your stories.....not really sadly i love them j.j.
Post a Comment