So I let him skip his school for a day and go to work with me. Our school was getting out early so the kids could enjoy the excitement with their families. All I had to do was entertain my first graders for 3 1/2 hours.
The students noticed Parker right away. "Mrs. Temple! There's a MAN in our room!" Once I explained who he was, they couldn't wait to get him to "work" with them.
During Reading, he read with Emily, a special ed student who listened raptly with big eyes. During Math, he flitted around the room, reading directions and helping students stay on track. By "specials" time, he was ready for a computer break. When I had to pick the kids up a short 20 min later he exclaimed, "Already?!"
He opened ketchup packets during lunch and helped line the kids up when it was time to leave.
And when the room was finally empty he said, "Boy, now I know why you're so tired at the end of the day! These kids take a lot of work!"
Ahhh...I am validated.
Maybe I should take my husband to work with me next!
2 comments:
I loved this! And he was only there 3 1/2 hours. Imagine all day. He's right! You guys are under paid and under appreciated! So is there a future education career for him? Glad he was able to see the Tour.
I love to see people who are willing to serve others and share themselves in a supportive way. I'm glad he got the day off school, and also got the opportunity to see how hard you work. MOM
Post a Comment