Our Family

Our Family

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Alone

One of the perks of your children getting older is the surprise spurts of "alone" time. It's not really planned...it's just suddenly laid upon you like a gift on a Tuesday afternoon. So today, when my husband went to teach summer school, and my daughter drove herself to a church youth activity, and my son got an invitation to spend the day and night with his friend, I found myself with several empty hours.
What to do?
There are so many things on my imaginary "list" for moments like this, that I almost get paralyzed with indecision. Should I take a walk...lie in the hammock and read a book...take a long bath...call someone on the phone and have an actual non-interrupted conversation...drive to the city and browse the stores I want to go to that my family hates...surf the internet...grab my camera and experiment....write...
Then my Demon of Practicality cuts in. I could always clean out a closet...scrutinize the budget (yet again) to find a few more pennies...get ALL the laundry done...get ahead by planning next week's meals and making a grocery list. My Guilt says "if you get it all done while they're not here, you can spend more time with them when they get back."
So what did I do?
Actually, a little of both worlds. I paid a couple of bills, threw in a load of laundry, enjoyed a silent cup of coffee on my back porch swing, and spent some wonderfully frivolous time reading other people's blogs and puttering with my camera.
Tell me...what would you do?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

These days at Beth's are like a forced vacation. I do exactly what I want, even if it is nothing. But I can see myself getting lazy and unproductive as time goes on. I think I will get tired of so much 'me' time. Maybe I'll be ready to 'hit the saddle' again by the time my treatments are over. MOM

Anonymous said...

Ahh!! 'Alone time.' It is great isn't it. It doesn't happen very often for me. It seems there's always SOMEONE here. But, occasionally I do find myself alone for the day. And, I do enjoy it. It's like--now, what do I do first?? Maybe nothing. So I get my coffee and play free cell while I ponder my options. --- You know, alone time is really a good thing SOMETIMES. But, when I think of those who are alone all the time, I feel so blessed to have family and friends who help keep me from being one of those lonely people. So when I'm alone, I enjoy it. And, when I'm surrounded by people-- I enjoy that also, and thank God for them.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I forgot to leave my name. I meant to click on 'preview' and I didn't!! Anyway, it's me--Brenda

Ang said...

When that actually happens I will let you know what I did!

Anonymous said...

Alone time, hmmm, let me see- 20 years ago I thought I would never be alone, but suddenly, and that's how quick it seemed- I am alone for several hours 4 days a week, and what I do is think on my memories of all my loved ones and sometimes read a book, and surf the net and read and re-read your blog :)
Love ya-Sheila

Anonymous said...

Alone time... I used to have it all the time then I got married. What was I thinking??? Now if I read a book it is because I don't love him!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No just kidding... I like to find educational games online for the kiddies and I love to read when I am alone. I love to read my Bible and have extra time with God. And sometimes just a good long hot bath. I like quiet time also. No tv no music just peace. Those are the greatest alone times.
Teresa