Our Family

Our Family

Saturday, June 21, 2008

Best Man

I went to a wedding yesterday. It was a very sweet event with lots of unique, personal touches. The girls were dressed in simple summer dresses in citrus colors, and the guys wore light suits with sandals. Lemons and limes were tucked among daisies to decorate the church. And the bride wore a simple, lacy, spaghetti strap dress down the aisle to meet her groom...who cried as soon as he saw her. He sang a song to her (in a scratchy, tear-streaked voice) and she put her forehead to his and then joined in to sing with him. I couldn't help but think that, as fast as time has flown so far, it could be our turn to plan a wedding in just a few short years. And I thought about Hillary's personality and imagined a fun, creative wedding with lots of music...and maybe even some acting thrown in. And there would have to be big black and white photos involved in some way.
But of course, the most important thing at the wedding is the man she'll be marrying. And I hope she chooses someone like her dad. Someone who used his break between basketball games to swing by the church where I was helping with an event and surprise me. Someone who says, "hey beautiful!" when I walk into the room on Thursday afternoon in nothing special. Someone who came to the wedding reception where I was helping serve and jumped right in, arranging strawberries on a platter, making lemonade, and lighting candles, even though the bride's mom was my friend, not his, and he wasn't required to help. And he didn't even grumble about it. A man who exudes calm strength and puts others first. A man who gives strong hugs and gentle backrubs.
It won't matter when or how she gets married, as long as she finds a man like that.
So even though my husband wasn't even in the wedding yesterday...I think he is definitely the Best Man!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You get a big AMEN from us, but we think he is the best man because you are the best Woman,and the BEST is yet to come.
Love ya-Sheila

Anonymous said...

He's one of the best things that ever happened to you. MOM