I am thankful for affectionate children. They both give me lots of hugs, touches, and full-body-contact attention. They are like two puppies with a favorite chew toy. All it takes for one of them to notice me and suddenly want to be by me, is for the OTHER one to be by me.
Like today, when I was lying in the big chair, trying to be still enough to ward off my womanly "time of the month-ness" and Hillary came to lie beside me - plastered to me from toes to neck (which is as far as I can stretch on her) and lay her head on top of my head. Sure enough, it wasn't two seconds til Parker appeared. Hillary had (wrongly) assumed that since my other side was against the chair arm, she would have me to herself. But, ever the problem-solver, Parker just lay ON TOP OF MY BODY. And when Hillary had to get up to get her calendar so we could have family meeting, Parker quickly slid into her spot...even as she was saying, "Do NOT get my spot, Parker!".
A couple of days ago, the three of us went into the city. Hubby was working, my car was in the shop, and I don't drive a stick shift. So it fell to Hillary (who was forced by Dad to learn to drive on a stick shift) to chauffer me to the car place. And Parker just came along for the ride.
There we sat, literally shoulder to shoulder, on the small bench seat...air conditioning on high (which means the windows were all the way down) and itunes tooting at full volume. Things were fine for at least 5 miles. Then it began.
Parker - Can I find this one song on your ipod?
Hillary - No.
P - I just want to hear one song.
H- What song?
P - You'll see.
H- Why can't you tell me?
P - You'll like it.
H- Then tell me.
P - I promise you'll like it.
H- Why won't you just tell me?
P- Cause I want it to be a surprise.
H- Well, at least wait til this song is over.
Not an argument to draw blood but annoying just the same. Fifty seven similar verbal exchanges later...we were in the city, stopping and going from stoplight to stoplight while Hillary complained about the pain in her leg from holding down the clutch and Parker gave tips on how she should drive. This prompted more exasperated sighs and eye-rolling. And there I was...(sing with me now) "stuck in the middle with two..."
But there's really no place else I'd rather be. I know it won't last, so I'll enjoy the touch while I can. And someday, I may be living between them as they start their own testy, touchy families on opposite coasts. And I'll remember waking up in the middle of the night with Parker breathing into my left ear and Hillary snuggled into my right, and I'll just smile...and stretch...in all my empty space.
No comments:
Post a Comment