As a recovering perfectionist, there are a few things I've just had to let go of. Ironing is one of them. I've never been one who thought everything had to be ironed...but now I tend to think NOTHING has to be ironed! I was raised better than that, of course, and both my children's grandmothers make the effort to smooth out our wrinkles whenever they have the chance. So this weekend, as we were getting ready to go to church with Memaw and Papaw, the question was asked, "Does this need to be ironed?" Of course my response was....well, mainly I just sat there and tried to pretend I didn't hear the question. But Hillary jumped up. "I'll do it! If someone will show me how."
Really?
That was all Memaw needed...and the ironing lesson began in earnest. Cloth was folded, smoothed, repositioned...and tips were given all along the way. And 10 minutes later, Dad's pants were declared wearable.
Hillary was so excited she got her own clothes out and ironed them too.
Then she logged on to facebook so she could change her status to "Hillary Temple just learned how to iron creases that will cut paper."
Who knew? I would have gladly given her this glorious job sooner.
Then I think about how excited she was when she first learned to cook mac and cheese...or sort the laundry...and how now the shine has worn off. Will her passion stay as strong as her pleats? That remains to be seen.
But for now, she's off to church, head held high, without spot or wrinkle!
1 comment:
Of course she was a STAR pupil-quick to learn- and this old memaw has learned a thing or two from her great Mama that not all things need ironed-Thanks for a GREAT week-end.
Love ya-Sheila
Post a Comment