When the youth pastor at church recently announced that he was coordinating a "missions week" in our own town (using the church as a home base for service projects), I thought, "What a good idea. I'll bet Hillary will want to help."
It never occured to me that Parker would be interested. He has always been most comfortable at home...especially at bedtime! Through the years, his friends have tried valiantly to get him to spend the night at their houses. And he did give it an honest shot...making it until midnight or so before showing up on our doorstep, pillow in hand.
So I was surprised when Parker said, "Mom, when does that mission trip start? I want to do it."
He packed a few things and off he went.
And he was a natural...cutting trees and stacking brush, helping to build a well-house, and mowing an older person's yard. Things he loves to do.
But by Wednesday, sleeping on the gym floor was getting old, and when I saw him at church he said, "I'm coming home with you."
Later I asked him what he liked best about being part of the missions week. He said, "I just liked helping the people. One lady called and said how much it meant to her for us to help her out. And I just liked doing those things."
When did that scared little boy become a servant young man?
Then, later that night, I woke to find him lying between his dad and me. I guess we have a few years yet!
1 comment:
A servant's heart is a wonderful start. Hurray for Parker! He inspires me. MIMI
Post a Comment