We had a snow day on Friday. And I really needed it. With our weekends full of basketball and Fine Arts practice, my house hadn't had a good cleaning in a while. And we were having company for the weekend. I got busy changing sheets, vacuuming, and doing laundry. Right in the middle of all the cleaning chaos, somewhere between washer and dryer, I needed a break. I went into Hillary's room to see what she was doing.
She had the music on, and was going through her closet...weeding out things she no longer deemed wear-worthy...trying on random pieces...and creating new outifts out of old stuff. I lay on the bed, watching her, and we talked about school, her friends, and the new episode of Lost. We laughed over stupid stuff.
I was suddenly 16 again, lounging on my best friend's bed...as she tried to pick out an outfit for the ballgame later...gossiping and listening to music. I'd forgotten how much fun doing nothing can be when you're with a really neat person. My brain said, "Stop being so lazy and get up and get your work finished." But my soul said, "What better way could I spend this hour that I'll never get back?" And I made a cup of coffee, lay back against her teenaged-colored pillows, and savored the moment.
3 comments:
Wish I'd spent more savoring time when my girls were growing up. MOM
Fonda, you have such an awsome talent for writing. I love reading each entry and eagerly await the next one. You make everything you write so interesting.....o.k. I am waiting.......Love ya, Brenda
Girl time is great. I'd like to have more of it with my girls. Maybe this summer. MOM
Post a Comment