Our Family

Our Family

Thursday, February 28, 2008

How Do I Love Thee...

One of my favorite new TV shows is "How to Look Good Naked." The premise is to help real, everyday women learn to love and accept their bodies. Though they've had a few curvy girls on there, they've also had some who looked pretty darn cute to me. I wondered what they were doing on the show. Yet they stand in front of the mirror and talk about their too-small breasts, thick thighs, and non-existant fat rolls. They say, "Who could ever think this is beautiful?" I want to yell at the TV, "What's wrong with you? Why can't you see what's really there?!"
And while I've certainly had my own body image issues, I can relate to these women in a totally different way.
They say the Bible is like a mirror. And most of my life, when I looked into it, I saw only my flaws. Weak and unlovable. Too much and never enough. "How could anyone ever love this?" And the whole time, God is yelling at my soul's TV screen, "I love you! Why can't you see what's really here?"
And lately, I can.
He loves me in the way Hillary lays with her head in my lap and tells me every detail of her day...in the way Parker comes up and gives me a long hard squeeze for absolutely no reason...in the way my husband thinks I'm so cute he can't keep his hands off me, even though I'm in my rumpled work clothes and busy cooking dinner, and my hair is all flat from a windy recess duty.
He loves me in that he gave me a friend who calls me almost every day and won't let me drift away, even though I've moved away...in the way my co-workers respect me, and my students shower me with affection...in a scripture I accidentally run across, just at the right time... and in the words of a song.
Lately, I see it everywhere. And after such a long time of being blind, it feels so good to see.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Couldn't have said it better myself. MOM

Anonymous said...

God says we're worth dying for, and if he says that, then what does it matter what anyone else says. Or what we think. It helps me see myself better than I did. MIMI

Ang said...

Thanks for the reminding me to see life's simple treasures on a daily basis. Through this month I have had a hard time being thankful for anything (through the sicknesses), but like you, I have much to be thankful for, and God's love and acceptance is top on the list.
Thanks for sharing.

Ang said...

Oh, BTW, Yancy's pants issue in the last post--hilarious!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Fonda! I found your blog because your mom sent an email and it had the URL in it. I have read several of your blogs, and I loved reading them!

Cindy

Anonymous said...

OK, OK, OK, I'm not one to usually leave comments. But, I love all your stories, and "How DO I Love Thee" tore at my heart strings. I've known you since you were, shall we say very young(and so was my Crystal Lee). And sometimes you girls never cease to amaze me at what beautiful women you have grown to be not only on the outside but on the inside. Keep writing I love to read your stories.