I had to go to a teaching conference this weekend. It was scheduled for me months ago, long before I knew Basketball Homecoming was on the same weekend. When I found out, I was a little disappointed because it meant I would miss the fun festivities, and Hillary dressing up for the dance. But this isn't her first time, and she is 16...I figured she didn't really need me.
By happy accident, I got home several hours before I was supposed to. Hillary called my phone and asked me where I was. When I said I was at home, waiting on them to get there, she got so excited! "I'm so glad you're home! Now you can do my hair!"
I was never the girl who did other girls' hair at slumber parties. That was my best friend, Kelly. She could make-over anyone. She did our hair...she did our make-up...she put us in her clothes. I always felt like I wasn't that great at doing my own hair, much less someone else's. After I grew up and got funtional at making my own appearance presentable, I wasn't that confident about dressing up my real-life baby doll, Hillary. Even then, she had her own style. She liked to dress funky and put her own hair in a pony tail. There was one time when I learned to french braid, and she sat patiently for me a few times while I pulled her wispy thin hair into a passable braid. But I loved her individuality and thought that meant I should stay out of it.
Since she's become a teenager, I've somehow become her favorite hairdresser. For last year's homecoming (where she was nominated for a court position) I spent hours curling her hair, piece by piece all over her head. She loved it so much she asked me to curl it like that every day for the next week.
This time, she wanted a pony-tail, swirled around like a bun, with spunky pieces sticking out everywhere. With the 5 bobby pins we scrounged from around the house, a rubber band, and two kinds of hairspray...we managed it. She was thrilled with it. And I am thrilled with her. The way she loves me makes me feel special and important. Do I love being Hillary's mom? I do.
2 comments:
Ok were you trying to be funny and draw people in with the "I Do" heading right next to a picture of your daughter and her boyfriend? I mean I was there and you had already told me all of what you wrote about, but I was still like, "What the heck" when i first saw the title. I agree her hair did look good. I had no idea you did not do hair all growing up. You are kind of are particular about your hair now (I am recalling last year when you kept getting your hair cut cause you weren't sastisfied). I mean I do love it!!
That's because your mom and "Judy" did your lovely hair! :) and I mean "Serious hair", perms and all. I could post a few pictures! Do I dare? You don't have to worry. I don't know how. Now, what about that built-in techie you talked about last week? MOM
Post a Comment