Our Family

Our Family

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Beautiful Truth

Recently I've been working to confront the lies whispered to me in my crib by the enemy of my soul. Lies like "I am alone" and "I have to be perfect". As always, my family is part of my healing. So this morning after my shower and dressed only in my "unmentionables" I came to my husband with a black marker and asked him to write a message on me. Something to tell me he loved me. Concrete words in black and white that would register with my brain's tendency to believe what is written down...and would stay put all day reminding me of what is true.
I lay still as he gently wrote his message in careful block letters across my tummy...
U R SO BEAUTIFUL
Hot tears streamed down my cheeks as his words, like a poultice, pulled the pain from my heart and out my eyes, healing me just a little. And a tiny part of my soul started to believe him.

Later, as I dried my hair in the bathroom mirror, the Beautiful Truth peeking out above my waistband, Hillary came in to borrow something.
"Who wrote on you?" she asked.
"Your dad," I said. "I asked him to."
Then we exchanged a small smile because he had put two L's on the end of the word 'beautiful'...which only made it more perfect.
And I was glad that she knew that, while it's impossible to find a perfect man, it IS possible to find a loving, gentle, strong, and patient one. And I hope she holds up every guy she ever dates to the standard of her father...and her Father.

Because, in truth, his message and His message are one in the same.

I am BEAUTIFULL! And never alone.

And that is the truth...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so right. Jesus says you are worth dying for. MOM

Brooke said...

Oh wow. That just brought tears to my eyes! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I was afraid to ask you how to read your blog that I've seen you post about. I wasn't sure what "blog etiquette" was. I'm not even sure how to spell etiquette. But I really, really wanted to read it because I love reading your facebook posts. I saw on one of your posts where someone else asked you how to read your blog and you told them...so I immediately went to it and starred it as a favorite so I wouldn't loose it...Fonda, you are so talented, you should write a book... I really mean it. I love your writing. You have a wonderful way with words and expressing yourself. It's so unique and refreshing.

Your blogs have really touched my heart... thank you.
Beth