Our Family

Our Family

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Boys will be _______.

It's spring break. I have slept past 7 for three days in a row....done 18 loads of laundry...and hosted various teenage boys on any given night. Tonight is no different. I got a text from Parker, asking if he could have TWO friends over, and outlining his plan for "spending the night in the woods." I replied that Yes, his friends could come over, and Let's Talk about the spending the night in the woods thing.
For a couple of weeks now, Parker has been disappearing into the woods, hatchet in hand, working on what he loosely refers to as his "hideout". With no leaves on the trees, I can see him out there piecing together random sheets of plywood and reclaimed two by fours. It keeps him busy and doesn't hurt anyone but the trees he's hacking limbs off of. So, if he's happy, I'm happy. But sleeping out there? I don't think so.
We compromised. The boys could spend until midnight "out in the woods" and then come back up to the house and sleep out on our covered, banistered, second-story deck...safe from various dangers like possums and skunks and teenage girls.
We picked the boys up and headed for home. They put their music in my cd player and turned it up loud enough to hear over the wind tunnel created by the open windows. Then they took turns sticking their heads out the window and making their cheeks flap in the wind. They coughed up bugs and guffawed at each other like grown men. As I shivered at the wheel, I yelled over the music "Everyone DOES have their seat belt on, right?" They did. I may be cool, but I am still a mom.
After a "beer" run (heavy on the ROOT), they stuffed their pockets with snacks and headed for the woods.
And as I watch them turn into man-sized shadows I shake my head and think...
Boys will be creative.
Boys will be determined.
Boys will be funny.
Boys will be sweet.
Boys will be boys....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boys just add a extra special kind of joy to a Mother's heart.
You are so blessed to have a daughter and son.
And YES you are a cool Mom with RULES!

Nina

joão pulo said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.